Tuesday 10 September 2013

Ganesh Festival: The Acceptance


Photo by: Piyush Abhay Singh

It is probably a very bad start to a even worse blog, but I miss being in Mumbai round this time of the year. I don’t mean Septmeber generally when there is a slightly hazy envelope that covers the morning and the evening, but what I am referring to is the festivities encircling the amazing Ganeshotsav.

I still remember the first time I moved to Mumbai in the year 2005 for my course at National Institute of Fashion Technology. The environment was a bit different as we were the freshers and in a way we were the source of endless entertainment while we gladly gave away our dignity and whatsoever self esteem we were left with after a long tiring day of college. And practically there was no other way to skip these senior-junior interaction aka ragging.

In between those times of being away from the home for the first time and then successfully surviving the 26/11 deluge regular visits to the hospital in order to either see a friend of yours or get yourself for malaria, it was quite a necessity for us to look for safer and better alternatives because frankly, almost 2 months down and most of them were simply not accepted by the city.

On one such evening three of my house mates and I decided to sleep early as we were pretty much delighted with the fact that the following day was off on account of Ganesh Chaturthi. It was not because of the festival that we were delighted but the whole idea of having a holiday in middle of the week so that you can catch up on ever increasing list of pending assignments was getting us excited.

Being from northern India, I really wasn’t aware of the magnitude or the importance it holds in every one’s life in Maharashtra.  At around 12 we woke up to the sound of crackers echoing one after another in the entire society. Jumping out of the bed, the first thought that crossed my mind that “Oh damn! This time the seniors have taken it too far”. That estranged moment was strengthened by the sight of the house-mates running to the balcony to ensure if everything was okay.

The house was on the first floor and I could see some smoke rising up from the streets. Before I could have jumped to conclusions, the whole environment was filled the shouts of “Ganpati Bappa Morya”. I was numb looking at the huge sea of people who were just walking by carrying the idol, screaming and shouting and celebrating the arrival of the almighty. In that momentary trance, I decided to let go and give in. We rushed down the stairs and joined them. By the time it was 2 am in the morning, we were tired, drenched and liberated.

The following day, as it was reserved for assignments, took a different turn and none of us who were a part of something so beautiful and grand the night before, couldn’t focus on finishing assignments anymore. The outcome of that one magical night made us all feel at home. We decided to took a day off and went around roaming on the streets visiting every pandal the entire day. There was a pandal in almost every corner, every street or even the tiniest of the alleys. It was just strange getting used to the idea as first but we were high on celebrations as soon as we gave in.

Every since that first time, I made it a point to be out there in each and every Ganeshotsav that followed. It is true that my patience was tested at a lot of times but at the end of the day it was worth it. I still remember the time when we had to walk for miles to reach home on the day of the visarjan or the time when we were stuck in a traffic jam for about 6 hours. But looking at those piled up memories now, I am delighted that I went though all that. Because frankly, if I wouldn’t have gone through it, I wouldn’t have missed it so very bad this year when I am not in Mumbai.

At a time like this when I can not be physically present in any of the pandals in Mumbai, I am really at ease seeing that my timeline is flooded with photographs and updates from everyone who celebrates Ganpati festival with the same (or even more zeal) that I would have done.

At the end of the day, perhaps I am happier for the fact that we can leave aside the usual political discussions or the dollar rupee comparison or the crashing stock market and surrender completely to the almighty in His very grace and grandeur. Not to miss, do make it a point to cherish as many Modaks as you can for now because any other time in the year, they won’t taste as yummy as they do now.

Piyush Singh (9th September 2013)

2 comments:

  1. firstly, that's a very very nice click! And secondly, your post made me nostalgic! I miss the Ganeshotsav too, especially the modaks :P

    keep blogging! good to see u back! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Yamini. You will get to see or read a lot more now since I am back in my element :)

      Delete